Saturday, May 22, 2010

A very productive week!

Last Sunday I re-recorded the backing "choir" for Sweet Celebration with Branson, Kate, and Carson. It sounds so much better than a chorus of Steves (ha). I have backing tracks for "Reason To Believe" and "We Can Fly" done! They are just acoustic guitar but I am getting great sound with my two new Behringer condenser microphones. For Reason I played the guitar part twice which took a lot of practice (the week before) but I like the full sound. I think We Can Fly works with just guitar and vocal.

Today I worked on "O Freedom." As a writer I have my own favorites. This is in my top ten but I don't play it very often because I have gotten kind of a flat response. My friend Mark requested it if I could get it in the queue. I was flattered that he remembered it from so long ago. I have a basic drum track and I experimented with some atmospheric electric guitar and found something I like. I have plans for two guitar parts and the drums. I may add bass but we'll see.

I also have requests for "Hidden Meadow" (including Nancy as it is for her). It will take some practice to get the jazzy intro and finger picking clean (which is why I've been avoiding it). Also in the queue is "Rosemary Days"

Things are going a little faster now, at least technically. I hear arrangements of my songs in my head but have difficulty translating it to real sounds and things I can actually play. I can see how bands can spend every day for months working things out. It takes a lot of time experimenting with instruments, effects, sounds, harmonies to get something that seems to gel. So I will settle for the first decent thing I can get out.

My goal is to have a CD ready for the July 4th show in Ashton. So I got to get off the stick and make concessions. "Freedom" will be my last one with production for now. I have 9 that are finished and just need to be final mastered. Anything else I do will just be acoustic with vocal. I will need help from everybody deciding what makes it on and in what order.

I'm also starting to work on my web site (stevewalkersings.com) which I hope to be up by July 4th as well.

Thank you everyone for all the support. It really helps keep up the momentum and I appreciate it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment