Friday, February 5, 2010

THE START

I've decided to start blogging to this blog that was set up six months ago. I keep hoping I can have everything ready and then put it up, but I'm finding it doesn't work that way. So let me catch you up to where I am today. Last August I attended the Summer Jam West three day conference and got fired up to really do something with my music. There were great workshops taught by industry professionals. I will post my Summer Jam pictures and more information later. I was in the middle of finishing my basement at the time (I will post some pictures of that, too) and was jazzed to get started as soon as it was finished. My son, Andrew (also an awesome singer/songwriter/guitarist) created the framework for this blog. Today is the first day I have signed in!

The basement was finished at Thanksgiving when the whole family descended on our home. It was wonderful! We had a fantastic time eating, playing Settlers, eating, playing Puerto Rico, eating... whoohoo! My studio area was filled with all of the stuff we previously stored in the basement (photos coming), so that became the next project. By Christmas it was emptied fairly well. Now all the stuff is in Nancy's camper in the garage. She's about ready to get back to restoring it, so the next project will be to organize the garage.

Despite having protected the room with plastic barriers, everything was very dusty from the sheet rock. The new project then was to clean everything and set up the studio. That is done! My equipment was never so clean. It's great. So I began recording.

First order of business was to pick songs. I went through all my recordings and identified six songs that have never been recorded in any format whatsoever. So I am making acoustic demos of those songs first. It's a bit frustrating because I have all these production ideas in my head, but I don't have a band, I can't play all of the instruments, and I am still challenged using all of the effects in the recording mixer. I have 100 times more recording and engineering gear in my digital workstation than the Beatles had when they made Abbey Road. So it's got to be possible to get a professional sound. My recordings are getting better.

I got the mixer in the summer of 2008 and immediately starting recording "Sweet Celebration" and naively thought I could get a release quality mix. It's got the guitars, bass, drums, cool piano, and the Steve backing choir. I'm satisfied with the vocal and very pleased with the guitar solo. It is washed with reverb and sounds like you are in the shower. I recorded several other songs with basic band backup and a bunch acoustic with me singing harmonies. They do demo the song, but are far from what I would want anyone to keep permanently.

Since then I've gotten better. I bought two professional recording microphones, studio near-field speakers, and upgraded the sequencing software to create drum sequences. But I'm not quite there. I recently recorded a cover of "Still You Turn Me Own" by Greg Lake so I can compare my recording effects (room space) to his and see if I can get close. I have about 10 mixes and it's getting closer. Once I have that, I can record acoustic vocal demos that will sound "real" and be mastered together fairly evenly. I've got about 15-20 songs I'll demo and want to eventually get full arrangements on.

We're moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment